Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mercer Med School and Standardized Patients
AN EDUCATION!



Students who chose to do their medical training at Mercer University sign “something” stating that when done, they will practice medicine in Georgia. This policy is wrapped up in their funding somehow and about that I know nothing.  Should the student decide to leave Georgia, it is my understanding that he or she will not receive letters of recommendation.  Interesting?  Enrollment very high and of course most students are from Georgia.

       My first call to be a standardized patient was so exciting for me.  You see I had wanted to do this for some time, but the recommendation for one to become a SP must come from someone else.  One does not just decide to do this and sign up or call; it is actually pretty selective. I drove the 15 miles to Mercer University twice for training, again being paid for it, and I along with others, was trained by staff and physicians.  The training is extremely thorough and two pronged:  patient ailment and accompanying symptoms in addition to how to evaluate the student: questioning procedures, examination, bedside manner, medical jargon, thoroughness, appearance, etc.
       After the encounter, we sit at a computer and evaluate on a program written for just this purpose….very carefully….the student on just about everything from do something with your hair to “You nailed it, dude.  You will one day make an awesome doc.”  We SP’s are an important part of their program, and we are treated extremely professionally. 
      I will close this wondering if all medical schools use standardized patients.  Anyone know?  And in the next writing, I will share a few of the scenarios in which I have been involved.
275

1 comment: